VAKS – Volunteer at Knock Shrine
Are you aged between 16-18? Then we are inviting YOU to be part of Knock Shrine and volunteer for one or more weekends throughout the summer. Over the weekend you will meet new people, welcome pilgrims and help the people who visit Knock.
The VAKS programme is for anyone over 16 years old. It is an opportunity for you to serve the pilgrims at Knock Shrine. Over 1.4 million people visit Knock Shrine every year from home and abroad. It is a special place of prayer and pilgrimage.
Volunteering can add a great deal to your life and to the lives of those you are working with.
- It also gives you the chance to try out something different to your ‘everyday’ job.
- To form new friendships & to have fun!
- To enhance your skill-set & to share your talents
- To receive recognition for your voluntary hours of service through the Pope John Paul II Award
- To give something back & to make a difference in the lives of others
HOW DOES VAKS WORK?
You will need to attend training days at Knock before you can volunteer, training includes the following:
- Communication skills
- Manual Handling
- Basic First Aid
- Child Protection
- Youth Ministry
- Team Building
- Prayer & Reflection
- Liturgy & Spirituality of Knock Shrine
- The Story of Knock
Training is an essential part of the VAKS programme, and usually happens on one Saturday in May. After you complete the training you can choose which weekends you are available to volunteer. Attendance at the training day is compulsory to be part of this programme.